“And my God will supply all your needs according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19)
God’s in the business of meeting needs:
- When Adam and Eve discovered they were unclothed…God made them coverings from animal skins
- When the world needed saving from a flood, God gave us Noah
- When Abraham needed an heir, God gave him Isaac
- When Israel needed rescue from famine, God gave them Joseph
- When Israel needed freedom, God gave them Moses
- When Israel needed a king, God gave them David
- When Israel needed direction, God gave the prophets
From the beginning, God has given us what we needed. The problem, often, is that we don’t know what we need. Oh, sure, we THINK we know. We’re convinced we need a certain candidate to win an election…we need a vaccine…we need this or that legislation.
Israel was convinced they needed a powerful, political, charismatic king in the line of David. They wanted a warrior king. They were convinced this was God’s will for then. What Israel didn’t know was they needed a Suffering Servant. The world needed a Savior/King, God gave us Jesus.
When God moves, he is deliberate. He isn’t haphazard. He gives us what we need, not necessarily what we want!
Most of the time, our wanters are broken. Christmas answers our biggest need. But we often miss God’s move because it wasn’t what we wanted. Join us Sunday and we’ll discuss it together.