WONDERFUL THING IN THIS PASSAGE – One of Satan’s agents in the last days will be a monstrous beast who will astound the world with supernatural powers, ravage God’s people in violent persecutions, and demand to be worshipped (Rev 13:1-7). Most of the population at that time will go along:
“All those who live on the earth will worship it, everyone whose name was not written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slaughtered” (Rev 13:8).
The only ones escaping the doom of this deception are those whose names are written in the book of life. Many things about this book are unclear, but the Bible and especially Revelation make several facts about it very clear:
- There is a “Book of Life,” and it was written “from the foundation of the world.”
- This book belongs to Jesus, the Lamb of God, and it contains a list of names.
- At the end of this age, all and only those whose names are in the Book of Life will enter the glories of heaven.
- If you have received Christ or if you will do so, you’ll find at the end that your name was in that book from the beginning – God “chose us in Him, before the foundation of the world” (Eph 1:4) – and you will rejoice in that fact for eternity.
The contents of this unique book separate the human race into two distinct groups and make an eternal difference for every person who will ever live.
Those whose names ARE NOT written in the Book of Life…
- Will be fooled by Satan and will worship his agents – “Those who live on the earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world will be astonished when they see the beast that was, and is not, and is to come” (Rev 17:8). “All those who live on the earth will worship it, everyone whose name was not written from the foundation of the world in the book of life” (Rev 13:8).
- Will experience the ultimate wrath of God – “And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire” (Rev 20:15).
Those whose names ARE written in the Book of Life…
- Will serve God now – Paul writes of his “coworkers” as those “whose names are in the book of life” (Phil 4:3).
- Will enter heaven for eternity – “Nothing unclean will ever enter it … but only those written in the Lamb’s book of life” (Rev 21:27). “I will never erase his name from the book of life but will acknowledge his name before my Father and before his angels” (Rev 3:5).
WONDERFUL THING IN OUR LIVES – Friends, the inclusion of our names in the Book of Life ought to bring us more uproarious joy than anything else in this world! Jesus’ disciples once returned from a mission ecstatic that their hands had healed the sick, their commands had cast out demons, and their testimony had brought God’s Kingdom to many people. You and I would be equally overjoyed. Jesus’ response: “Don’t rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven” (Luke 10:20).
How would you live if God sent you the winning ticket to the 2030 megazillion-dollar lottery and you carried it around in your pocket? You could give more and worry less. You could face adversity with a smile that made folks wonder if you’re crazy. You could be unreserved in recommending God to others. Well, we’ve already won more than that. Let’s live like it!