“…in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18, NKJV)
Thanksgiving week – we’ll all eat too much and watch too much football. And hopefully, we’ll spend some time thanking the Lord for our families, friends, and country.
I preached about gratefulness on Sunday and a few of you balked at my statement that there is always something for which to be thankful. As I was pondering that and Paul’s comments to the church in Thessalonica to give thanks “in everything,” I realized I wasn’t real sure what that looks like. So I tried a little experiment. I started a list of “everything”…
- I’m thankful for Mexican food. Seriously. As I imagined my life without it, I began to cry a little.
- I’m thankful for click bait. When you click the link and find out that Elvis really isn’t alive in South America, it reminds you how much time you’re wasting online.
- I’m thankful for hypocrites in politics and the media. Their hypocrisy it is so open and obvious – yet they don’t see it. It reminds me that I’m probably blind to my own hypocrisy, too.
- I’m thankful for those guys who film themselves sharing their thoughts in their cars and trucks. How else would I know what to think about the day’s news?
- I’m thankful that Denton has a new city planner. Now, fix those dadgum roads, please.
- I’m thankful for baristas at Starbucks who shout very loudly: “Jim, your pumpkin spice latte is ready!” This keeps me humble in my walk of shame to the counter to pick it up and turn in my man-card.
- I’m thankful for all the numbered lists floating around the web. Reading “Seven Things You’re Doing Wrong as a Husband” is encouraging. I’m not doing everything wrong…just seven things!
- I’m thankful for specialty Bibles. Having a “Duck Dynasty Bible” gives me a chance to hear Uncle Sy’s interpretation of challenging passages.
- I’m thankful for snowflakes. All of a sudden, I’m one of the toughest guys you know.
- I’m thankful for Snap Chat. How else would I know what my kids are up to since they never call!?
- I’m thankful that the election is over and all my FB friends are back to posting pictures of their dinners and telling me what the weather is like.
- I’m thankful that Dak picks up after himself. “Look, kids, even pro football players pick up their trash!”
- I’m thankful for the brave men and women in our country – like that actor from Hamilton.
- I’m thankful for Macy’s. Never shop there, but I like their parade.
- I’m thankful my Christmas lights are already up.
- I’m thankful for my wife – our anniversary on Monday means we’ve been married longer than we haven’t.
- I’m thankful I remembered our anniversary.
There’s probably more, but you get the picture. There’s always something! I’ll leave you with one final thought: I’m thankful for our church. I’m thankful for you. God has given us a great family with which to walk through the highs and lows of life together.